Back to Top
A Back to Top link helps users navigate to the top (start) of long pages.
Behavior of a Back to Top link #
- The link is only necessary on longer pages that require scrolling to get back to the top of the page. Shorter pages should not contain a Back to Top link, because clicking on such link doesn´t have an effect and is irritating the user.
- Users expect to see the link at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- The link should be labeled Back to Top because that´s conveying clearly what the link will do. An icon alone, like an arrow-up, is not sufficient because it cannot be handled properly by a screenreader.
- The link should stand out visually but shouldn´t distract from content, nor hide content.
- The link has to be presented to all users and, if not visible, like on a short page, it has to be invisible for all users.
- Once visible, the link should not move around when scrolling.